Thursday, July 01, 2010

My Webelo Goes to Resident Camp

I went 4 days without my camera. As crappy as that camera is, I really missed the hunk of junk. I felt naked without it. Like when you're used to wearing a watch every day, then suddenly you forget to put it on for the first time in 4 years. All day I was, "Oh how cute, let me go grab the cam-... nevermind." Or "Wait! Don't move. I have to get the-... grrrrr!" But now the camera is back and I can stop shaking.

Dominic and Brad had a very busy, exhausting, sweaty time at resident camp. 4 hours into the trip Dominic sliced his foot open on a rock in the river. The med staff on site did not have the necessary equipment on hand that day to help him so they sent him to the hospital. The nearest was 1 hour away. It was hard on Dom because he had to endure 4 shots of numbing stuff so they could clean the wound and seal him up with dermabond. "No swimming for 48 hours" the doctor said. Not what anyone wants to hear when they are at camp and it's super humid. But Brad said he was a real trooper hobbling around and hardly complained at all. Awww.

They did a whole lot more. Archery. BB shooting. Flag stuff. Fire stuff. And from what I understand the eatin' was surprisingly awesome. But really it was all about the trip to the ER for Dom. All the other stuff was mere filler. Brad was Super Husband for taking tons of pictures for me to obsess over. Unfortunately 75% of them were blurry. Hey, it's the thought people. And like I said before... it's a hunk of junk that camera.

I loved Dominic's comment when he walked through the door when he got home. "Aaah... I can't wait to have myself a nice big bowl of fresh cereal..." It's nice to know that the one thing that saw him through his sweaty campout was the idea that we had Fruity Pebbles stocked in the pantry. Nothing like a big bowl of rice, sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oil, red 40, yellow 6 & blue 2 at the end of the day. That's my boy.
Den 4 Wolverine Patrol

Fire stuff and Flag stuff.



Look! It's Dominic cleaning! (*Fist pump*)



"I am The Dom" Click, click, blow! ........... Archery was tough but he got it eventually.


I want to add that apparently the boys did a fab job on their tie-dye shirts. Brad said they got a lot of positive comments on them. Thanks Ms. Dawn!

For the 4 days that Dom and Brad were gone, it was just me and Ethan and Carmine. The house was strangely quiet. You'd think with two boys still in the house you would't notice so much. That wasn't the case. "What do you want to do now, mom?" Ethan asked after we dropped off Dom and Brad. It was our special time. Shall we do a puzzle? Draw? Movie maybe? First we did a puzzle. Next we went to the rental place and picked up Batman Begins. We watched that while Carmine napped. Next we gave each other temporary tatoos on our biceps (hello, camera?) For dinner we had porkchops and baked potatoes. After baths we did the puzzle again, much faster this time, then after putting Carmine to bed we seal up the night by coloring with markers. I told myself that whenever Ethan asked me if I wanted to do something with him, my answer would always be 'yes'. Every time. And I did. And it was so worth it. He sent an Email to his 2nd grade teacher that said 6 words: "I'm having a good day today." Aaah... that's what it's all about. Right there.


2 comments:

Carl&JulieFamilySite said...

Did they sleep for two days straight when they got back?

I don't know if I could have given up the camera!! I would have made them take a disposable one.

BTW - You should see if you can get Dom to sit down and write all about his trip. I would buy that book.

Speaking of, will you please, please, please, start a "Dominism's" column in your blog, somehow, somewhere? "Aaah... I can't wait to have myself a nice big bowl of fresh cereal..." I love that kid.

Samantha said...

Yeah Dom! I'm so proud of you being so brave! Sounds like the boys had a fabulous trip. I agree with Julie.... you need to start keeping track of the Dominisms! Great idea! You're such a good mommy, Catie. I bet Ethan felt like a million bucks. :)